Thursday, August 18, 2011

Changes

"A ship is safe in its harbor, but that's not what a ship is for." -William shedd.*

Change is hard. There are currently some changes going on at work and it's pretty scary. I keep trying to remind myself that God is in control. I am praying that I do his will and not my own out of fear. But I catch myself thinking of it often and my reaction is fear. I immediately think of God after that and I calm down. The quote above made me stop and think. Maybe God is pushing me out of my harbor into real work. That is daunting, but a smidge exciting. Even with these thoughts, I still fear the changes. Why?

Jeremiah 29:11 is one of my favorite verses. God is leading me towards a very definite ministry. I see how my job right now is a part of that. But my first reaction on hearing of these changes isn't "God's got this.". It's "Oh my gosh that will ruin everything." Why do I think that? Why do I let fear grip my heart?

I could say I'm human, but that's an easy cop out. I could say I'm still growing in my faith and that is partially true. I think I would rather say I let it happen because I'm still not convinced God loves me. That's pretty harsh to say, but true. Be praying for me about that would you?

What about you? Do you believe God loves you enough? Do you believe he loves you in your finances? In your job? In your family? In your fears? In your passion?

*Someone posted that quote on their blog this week and it stuck with me. I wish I could tell you who, but I forgot. If that was you, sorry for not giving you credit for discovering it.

One more announcement - One of my Honduras group members is going back in January. If you are interested in helping her out, check this out. I know she would appreciate any help you can give and the kids would too.

2 comments:

  1. changes is a difficult thing to handle it sometimes, others just cant handle it well. i honestly can say that i like to have a routine once in a while and can handle a change or two throughout the week BUT drastic changes like what your school was going through is something totally different. I like to have things in order so that i know what to expect! this would be the equivalent of me going to a totally differnent school mapping out the halls and everything.. i dont handle it well. change is something that lal have to deal with but its up to you and your ability to adapt to it. my final statement to say is that change can either be a great thing or something to mess you up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change is difficult for all humans and our ability to adapt to it is based on our ability to trust. Since we all realize that we don't get what we deserve, we inherently have trust issues. So maybe it is more of getting over our trust issues instead of adapting to change. Just a thought. Probably more than you wanted. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete