Thursday, June 30, 2011

My radical experiment

While in Honduras, I read the book Radical by David Platt. It seemed an appropriate place to read it. There are a lot of amazing thoughts in that book. Things I had never considered. The subtitle is "Taking back your faith from the American Dream." I have often asked myself where my Americanism ends and my Christianity begins. You can't ever separate them, but I think it's good to know that one influences the other and vice versa. So since the book was about being more Christian and less American, Honduras seemed like a good place to read it. At the end of the book, he talks about a radical experiment. It involves 5 things to do in 1 year:

1. Read the entire Bible
2. Pray for the whole world
3. Sacrifice your money for a specific purpose
4. Spend time in another context (like a not-your-home area mission trip)
5. Commit to a multiplying community

Considering I'm a youth leader at my church and involved in other committees AND I've been to Honduras and am trying to go back, this looks like an easy list right? Um...NO

Confession time coming.........................................................


I am HORRIBLE about reading my Bible and praying regularly. Yes we drill these things into the heads of our youth and I try to post something about the Bible weekly on here. But I don't really do it every day. During the school year, I can always manage to fit in 15 minutes or so. Sometimes less, but I can fit it in. When I don't have a structure like on the weekends or on a day off, I don't seem to get around to it. I pray with my son every night and I add in some of my own thoughts silently, but I don't spend a lot of time in prayer just me and God. So the first two things on that list are massive for me. Being inspired and knowing I have some pretty big things that God is calling me to, I did a little bit of looking.

1. If I read 5 pages a day, I will finish one of my study bibles, including all the study materials in slightly less than a year. I am on page 25 on day 4. LOTS left to go, but this is a start.
2. The book mentions a website, Operation World. They break down some general prayer needs for EVERY country in the world. So I'm praying for 2 countries a day. There are less than 200 countries in the world, so I figure I'll go through the list 3 and half times.

3. We sponsor 2 kids and a missionary. Not to mention, I want to give to just about every charity I hear about. Sacrificing for a cause is easy, but using our money better every month is a little harder. It is also my goal.

4. I want to go back to Honduras. It was amazing and the kids are awesome. However, it isn't just that. I learned quite a bit while I was there about where God might be leading me and how to get there. I have a long way to go, so I need to learn all that I can. Plus leaving the country helps me see some more of where America ends and Christianity begins.

5. I am a part of a local church and I really, really, really want to see it grow more in spiritual stature. So this is something to which I'm already committed. Now I just need to PRAY about HOW God wants me to do it.

So keep me honest guys. I've put it out there and of course right now I want to accomplish this. Help me keep this want to up all year long. Thanks for taking this journey with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment