Friday, June 3, 2011

Isaiah 30:21: Tunnels

21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”

Ben and I were playing last night and he pulled out his tunnel. He crawled through it several times giggling all the way. Of course to be funny I crawled through it too. That was hard and Ben got impatient and crawled over me through the tunnel. At the head of it where my shoulders were he couldn't quite get through. So he whined a little and tried to shove me out of the way. This got me to thinking a little. When I made it out, I sat at one end of it and Ben ran to the end of the hall. He turned around and came running back to the tunnel at top speed. Then he sort of jumped into it. I say sort of because it wasn't a full jump or he would have pretty seriously hurt himself. The running to the tunnel got me to thinking some more. This is what I was thinking about.

Tunnels have one way in and one way out. They are generally relatively small spaces. You can't really turn around in the middle and go back the way you came. There isn't a whole lot of space to move around in. You get in and you have to keep going forward until you get out. What if God's will for us is like that? What if he wants us to go one very specific path? What if there isn't room to turn around or room to just hang out in the middle of this path? Will we run to that path? Are we so content to keep moving forward?

I feel like God has had me on a very specific narrow path for a little over a year now. He didn't show me the ultimate destination and I'm not sure I know it yet. He has just shown me one step at a time. There are a couple times I have balked at the next step, but like a tunnel there wasn't any room to turn around and it was uncomfortable to stay put. The only option was to move forward. So I have been slowly moving forward. I didn't come running to this path either, but I am glad that I am on this path. I know I am in God's will and it is a little overwhelming, but I'm excited about what he as in store for me.

Are you in a tunnel? Have you been in one? How did it turn out?

No comments:

Post a Comment