Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Finding my story: My Parents

Family Group Photo Credit: anyjazz65

I have always loved to hear family stories. When I was a teen, I had boxes of old family stuff in my closet because my closet had the tallest ceilings. I remember spending weekend nights looking through those boxes. Some kids go party, I looked through family history. I used to be self conscious about that. I felt like that made me a freak or something. I have since come to embrace this about myself. I love hearing stories about family members whether I knew them or not. I enjoy hearing stories about my husband's family. I even enjoy listening to people tell stories about their grandparents or other family members.

With that in mind, I thought I would tell some of the stories that I have heard about my family members. What story to start with? That one was a little hard because there are so many. then I realized that my parents 31st anniversary was yesterday and I thought a short little story about them would be great.

A little background, my parents started dating when my dad was a freshman in high school and my mom was a junior. They dated for 4 years and then got married after Dad graduated, like a week after he graduated. They have been happily married ever since then. And yes I am that lucky to have parents who are still so in love. It has been an amazing blessing.

So on to the story, once my dad told me about the first time he saw my mom. He was walking through downtown Fairfield probably going to work or coming from work. There was an advertisement on a store window for the Miss Fairfield pageant. Knowing that I can assume this was in the fall, like September or so. The Miss Fairfield pageant is just what it sounds like a pageant with high school girls to find the prettiest girl in town. So in effort to get the word out about all the pretty girls competing there were advertisements on store windows showing all the girls competing. This year my mom was one of them. So he was walking by one of the store windows and saw her. She was the only one he noticed because he thought she was the prettiest girl he had ever seen and it was love at first sight.  Sometime he asked her out.  They had a first date around Valentine's Day I think. And they lived happily ever after.  Happily ever after is our goal too.


  Image from courthouselover via Flickr

  Image from Fairfield Chamber of Commerce

  Image from Southeastern Illinois

2 comments:

  1. haha i expected some giant love story like my mom and dads lol.. basically my dad stalked my mom xD haha but yeah i actually enjoy listening to family stories.. like whenever we ware inf lorida with the family on my dads side we sit on the porch and just talk for hours talking about stories and all this tuff and its always so funny or so sad we all cry but i love to talk about family life and our past and our future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love family stories too! Even if it isn't my family, I enjoy listening.

    ReplyDelete