Friday, May 13, 2011

Mothers day

Mother's day was Sunday, so people asked me this week how my Mother's Day was. I say it was nice and what I mean is I enjoyed hanging out with Drew's extended family and talking to my mother. Now if they would have asked,"How did you enjoy Mother's Day since you are a mother?", that would have been a different answer. I probably would have said, "Oh I am, aren't I?" I know I'm a mother, but I don't feel like I'm a 'Mother's Day' mother. This is my 3rd Mother's Day and I still don't feel any different on that day than before I was a mother. It seems like just another little family get together. So our little family doesn't really celebrate. Nothing too special. AND I don't mind. There are some supermom's out there who always have the house clean and keep track of the family doings and work and 10 million other things. I don't really do that, so I don't feel like I need a special 'me' day.

Not that Mother's Day isn't important. It is. I"m just saying that for me personally, I feel weird celebrating it. And because I feel weird celebrating it and being on the receiving end, I always forget to wish other people a 'Happy Mother's Day' back. I say thanks and walk away. Then I feel stupid for not telling that wonderful mother that she needs to have a happy day. Another person comes up and says 'Happy Mother's Day' and I think about saying it back. Then I wonder what if they aren't a mom? Will that offend them? So again I say nothing and feel stupid.

All this is why I am bad at small talk especially on Mothers Day. It's also why I'm not a good Mother's Day mom. What about you? Who do you know that is a great Mother's Day mom?

No comments:

Post a Comment