Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bedtime Routine #553: Failure

Sleeping issues are probably the most discussed thing among parents. When I subscribed to a couple parenting magazines, I think there was a story about sleeping in every issue. So the fact that this is my second blog about this topic should not be surprising. My previous thoughts centered around how to get him to go to sleep. Now here we are almost a year later and I am revisiting the topic. I reread the previous post and I have to say that I vaguely remember that one. We have had a few changes between then and now. 2 of the biggest: 1. Ben moved into a toddler bed. 2. Then a couple weeks ago, Ben moved into a regular bed.

I think part of my current issues are that he is in the regular bed, which happens to be a full size bed. I didn't realize that until I got it put together and I'm not sure that I like that. Another part of the problem is that we only got the top mattress. He's little so we figured he didn't need it. However, that leaves the mattress a bit unbalanced. We haven't had time to go get more boards cut for the underside of the bed. Currently there are only 3. I think we need 2 or 3 more. The last few weeks Ben has NOT been going to bed well. He wants me with him until he falls asleep. Every parenting thing I have ever read tells me this is not healthy. He was doing so well at falling asleep on his own and now he isn't.

I wonder how he will fall asleep when I am in Honduras because he only wants me and not Drew. It is the opposite at naptime. I wonder how long this will continue and will it do severe damage to him. Will he become dependent on me? I feel like I am failing him and he is somehow failing me. Isn't that more unhealthy than him needing me to fall asleep? And the answer to that one I know, YES. So I'm telling myself to just get over it. Go with the flow and let him work it out in his own time.

No comments:

Post a Comment