Friday, April 22, 2011

Easter Emotions

I have had the outline of this done since Sunday, but I have no clue how to start this or what to title it, so I keep sitting on the idea and hoping something will come to me. I still have nothing, so I'm just going to start talking. The last couple weeks I've been thinking about Pilate and a couple others in the Easter story. I have a few more thoughts. The emotions felt surrounding the cross were not unusual to the human condition, but Jesus' response to it was unusual.

Fear
Both Pilate and Peter showed fear, fear of the people. Peter denied Jesus 3 times based on his fear of what the people might do to him. Pilate seemingly went against what his heart was telling him out of fear of the people. Whether he KNEW otherwise or just suspected something was different, he didn't explore it. He let the crowd convince him they knew better. He didn't want to do otherwise because of his position or something else. Did Jesus face fear? Absolutely! In the garden, he certainly did. What did he do with this fear? He prayed and he prayed hard. He sweat drops of blood over this prayer. He didn't want to face it, but what was his final word. "Not my will, but yours."

Anger

The Jewish Leaders and the crowd showed anger. He challenged their way of life. He didn't fit their plan for a Messiah. They saw how it all should go and he didn't work that way. Jesus also had reason to be angry. He had the sins of the whole world on him. He was innocent, but he was carrying all the sins of the world. He was carrying our sins. He was receiving what we deserved. He had reason to be angry, but he said, Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."

Sadness
Not all the emotions were coming from sins. The women at the cross were sad. Somehow that word does not capture the entire emotion. They were despondent with grief, who wouldn't be. Jesus himself was also despondent, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabacthani." He did not refer to God as his Father, but as My God. He was carrying the sins of the world and he knew God could not look on him. He knew God is a just God and can not be where there is sin. He knew God was far away from him. So he called out to him with the full knowledge of what sin does. It separates us from God. It emphasizes His holiness and His righteousness and our total lack thereof. Even through that grief, he was still calling to his father. However he was also planning for those around him. He was thinking of his mother and said, "Woman, here is your son."

One last thought on this Good Friday, John 19 says that Jesus gave up his spirit. It doesn't say he lost it or it was taken. It says he gave it up. To me that indicates he made a decision. He waited until the right time. On the cross with the weight of the world on him and the physical pain of crucifixion, he made a decision that his Father's will had been accomplished. He didn't just pass out and die from pain. He wasn't beaten, shot, or anything else. He chose to give up his spirit at the right time. Wow!

If you want to the scripture to go with what he said, there is a wonderful video here. Be aware the video clips are from The Passion.

1 comment:

  1. I love your thoughts on this. The past weeks the sermons have laid on my heart what Jesus suffered for me. I have seen the Passion Of the Christ several times and have cried everytime. I don't think anybody who loves the Lord could not. It impresses on my heart how much he must have loved me to give me such a wonderful gift. Sometimes I don't feel worthy but I sure am glad he thought I was. I live for the Lord and love him with all my heart. Happy Easter to you and your family. Look forward to your next blog :)

    ReplyDelete