Tuesday, March 29, 2011

When you don't need it

Before I even start let me say that I intended to start this an hour ago or more, but I got caught up in checking out new blogs.  I added about 5 to my Google Reader.  My number of subscriptions is now up to 34.  Not that they are all updated daily, but still I'm thinking this might become a problem.  Now that it is nearing midnight, this post may not be as well thought out as I hoped.  Here it goes anyway:

For the last couple weeks our pastor has been talking about Achan.  There is a whole lot we have been learning from this story.  However, my immediate thought Sunday while reading through this passage was, "If you have to bury it, you didn't need it in the first place."  My next thought was, "That is a really sad thought."  Followed by, "Is it true?"  And I think it is, with a little wording change.  If you have to bury it, you don't need it.  Here's why.

What are some thing we might want to bury?

1. A secret thought that we don't want to face we really thought.  If we can't face we thought it, we probably shouldn't have thought it.  So we don't need it.  For instance, when you think someone is mean because they didn't speak to you.  (That's the nicer version of something I thought earlier today.  It was definitely something I didn't need to think.)

2.  A secret item we are not supposed to have, including those jeans that are now several sizes too small and we are hoping we will someday fit into them again.  We bury those jeans or that magazine or that robe,silver, and gold in our closets, under our beds, or under our tents.  If we can't pull them out and use them regularly we probably don't need them around.

3.  News stories or other true stories that we don't want to face, stories like Aaron's sons, Uzzah, or Ananais and Saphira.  Or stories about Japan or some scientific discovery that you perceive as a challenge to your world view.  We want to bury those stories like they don't exist.  I am NOT suggesting that we then do not need them.  I do think that if you want to bury those stories, then your faith is in need of a challenge and growing.  However, that story at that time may not be the best way to do it.  So you don't need it for now.  Go away, pray about it, and then come back to it with an open mind and a focus on God.

4.  A friend or a family member who has passed on.  This is the one that originally got me and made me think of the sadness of the statement.  But I got to thinking about it and it isn't so sad after all.  My life would have worked out a little differently or a lot differently if people had not left when they did.  I was not ready for it at the time that it happened, but it was what needed to happen.  Not just for me, but also for that person.  It was their time to go and in the process of burying them I found my release.  A healthy balance of holding on to their memory, but not holding on to them.  We have all heard stories and maybe lived stories of holding on to that person.  It is not a healthy way to live.  In order for my life to be healthy and live it to the fullest, I had to let go and move forward.  I had to accept it was their time to go and God had a bigger plan for me.  I can't say that I have always done that easily or gracefully, but I have done it.

So yes, I still think so.  If you have to bury it, you don't need it.  It is still a thought that saddens me a little, but I genuinely do feel it is true.  What about you?  Do you think so or am I totally off my rocker?

3 comments:

  1. Great post. You got me thinking more about that passage than I ever have. We can't hide things from ourselves and we definitely can't from God, even though we may try at times or maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. It is good to know that I made sense and I wasn't rambling too much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothings ever truly hidden if you think it since god sees, hears, everything you say or think.Its kind of scary to know someone knows your every thought!

    ReplyDelete