Saturday, March 5, 2011

Oil: Week 3

A follow up from week 2, Psalms 45:7 and Isaiah 61:3 refer to oil of joy and gladness respectively. A note I read on one of those verses mentioned that it was common to be anointed with oil when something special happened. When you think about it, how often have you been an occasion for a special dinner? Probably not often, so that is a special occasion. Other special/happy occasions warrant this anointing as well. So I guess the bottom line on that is special occasions warrant special treatment.

There is another passage I wanted to talk about when oil is used, Isaiah 1:6. Isaiah refers to oil for healing. The idea of someone using oil to soothe your wounds is encouraging. It shows that someone cares for you enough to be right there with you when you are hurting. Someone is there walking with you to get you through it. I don't know about you, but it brings up warm and fuzzy memories of being nursed through childhood sicknesses.

This specific passage is mentioning the lack of that treatment for Israel and that is important because the very words here are used later in reference to Jesus Isaiah 53:4-5. It puts a whole new spin on the soothing of wounds and brings to mind Luke 7:36-50. And that passage refers back to some of what we looked at last week. Wow! Isn't it amazing how that is all tied together? Those warm and fuzzy memories of childhood are gone. They are replaced by the cold hard reality of what my Savior did for me. There was no one to bandage and soothe those wounds. They were put there by me and they were taken for me. So I guess the blood of Jesus is the ultimate anointing and soothing oil.


No comments:

Post a Comment