Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Teaching

So after reading 2 other blogs about this topic recently, I figured it was time to throw in my 2 cents.  I'm sure you're all waiting with bated breath.  Both Jon Acuff and Jaime the Very Worst Missionary discussed this topic and I have to say that I feel a little better about it.

This week I have heard Ben spout of word after word after word.  Cat, Meow, Horse, Duck, Quack, Piano, Guitar, Egg, Yogurt, etc., etc.  He can now count up to 14, but most of the time 10 is not included.  My reaction after listening to all this is twofold.  1.  Wow this kid is really smart.  2. Where did he learn all this?  I know I didn't teach him.  That second thought then makes me wonder why I didn't teach him that.  What kind of a mother am I if I can't teach my 2 year old new words?  What else should I be teaching him that I'm not?

I am pleased to say that Ben and I are now in a routine of praying at night.  We say the modified, not so scary version of Now I lay me down to sleep.  He says Amen and then God.  When he says God, it's time to say our thank yous.  Some nights we pray for other people.  Some nights we read from his baby Bible.  I feel much better about this than my previous spiritual work with him.  That mostly consisted of taking him to church and hoping he learns there.  I definitely think we are moving in the right direction.

But is it enough?  And if took me this long to start a prayer routine, then what am I going to miss out on or start late on later in his life?  Wouldn't a good mother be teaching him more?  Since I'm not teaching him more, does that make me a bad mother?

After reading the above mentioned blogs, I feel better.  I could do better and work with him more, but I'm not too bad either.  And I don't feel this blog would be complete without a bad mother story.

Before church tonight Ben and I were in the kitchen and he wanted to swing around.  So we did and I sat him down.  He came back and I don't really know how it happened, but I didn't set him down gently.  I dropped him on his face on the tile in the kitchen.  Even as I'm writing this, I'm tearing up.  I immediately scooped him up and totally expected to find broken pieces of him.  However, PRAISE GOD he only has a bruise on his chin.  I was/ am upset about the whole thing and I will not be playing like that in the kitchen any more.  But as I said, PRAISE GOD Ben is okay.  It's getting on his bedtime, so we'll get out of the tub and have our prayer time.

1 comment:

  1. If I had the guts to confess, my worst mothering moments, I pray God winced and forgave me when I failed. I think that we all make mistakes, and we all rely upon more than just mother to teach a child all there is to know, or we would have some very myopic views on the world. You know people like that, Ben will not be one of those people! He will be diverse and rich in love, and that is all that matters, you are guiding his tiny hand toward God, and learning as you are teaching. You're a great mom!

    ReplyDelete