Saturday, February 12, 2011

Judgement

I learned something last week, I am judgemental.  I like to feel like I'm doing good, helping out the world, and living like I should.  I'm growing in my faith and things are great.  Some days this is all true, but lots more days, I think I overlook the yucko parts of me to help me feel all that happy stuff above.  Even as I am writing this, I am finding ways to distract myself.  I guess I really don't want to admit this, but I am a harsh critic of my fellow man. I there were several times last week when I heard someone say something and I immediately thought something mean and very not compassionate.  I won't go into specifics because I think that would be unfair to those whom I was judging.  Suffice it to say that, there was more than 1 occasion someone was asking for prayer and my first thought wasn't how I was going to pray for them.  It was a judgement about their situation or the way they were handling it.  Sunday God showed me that wasn't the right attitude.  Who am I to say if they are doing the right thing or not?  Am I living their lives?  Am I walking in their shoes?  Most certainly not.  I don't know their inner being.  God does, so he gets to decide if it is right or wrong.  Not me.  I've been working hard this week on not doing that and making my first response gentler and kinder.  I'd love to say that I have it all under control now, but I"m sure I don't.  I can't remember any massive failings this week as far as judgement goes, but I also have not been confronted with any situations to really react to this week.  One step at a time I guess.

6 comments:

  1. The judging might be an element of the core of who you are, and that your discernment is unmistakable, but that you deliver it with discretion and graciousness, and purely from concern in your heart, then it might not be judgment. The Kiersey Temperament sorter categorizes 4 key elements of who we are by temperament and one of those is either Feeling/Judging. So don't try to deny or shut down who you are at your core to try and please God, let your yes be yes and your no be no and pray for wisdom? I don't know what the right answers are, but we were just learning that we need to embrace that which we are and improve on those things.

    I highly doubt that you are very rude to others, you have always possessed more grace in your words than I. I hope you find the right balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't say anything to the people, so they don't know I was thinking rudely of them. And I think you are right that judging/discernment is a part of me. I just need to leave a little more room for God's wisdom and not just all my own. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gah this subject is right on the spot for me.. i am probably one of the most judgemental persons you'l ever meet in your livfetime! when someone says something that i just think it wrong or that is not even smart? i just start thinking "what in the world is going on in your mind? are you stupid? do you honestly have to act this way o reven try to get the attention you are getting? you are just a plain dumby!" judging someone is probably one of the easist things to do in life.. but learning to not judge someone is the real task at hand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning not judge is very important, but for me one of the other really important things is not assuming everyone is as judgmental as I am. I constantly worry what someone thought about such and such a thing because I know I would have thought something about it. Not everyone is like me though, so I need to not worry so much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try not to be judge mental because then it just comes back to haunt because then someone starts to judge you or something about you back. Sometimes its hard to control yourself and to just stop and think about it before you say it but its just something that takes time that people have to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "to just stop and think about it" I think that is the key!

    ReplyDelete