Saturday, February 5, 2011

Back from the edge

As a parent, I could tell you lots of things that amaze me everyday.  However, I am going to pick one thing to tell you about this week.  I find it amazing how such a little person can make you feel like crap.  (I say this as he's dancing up a storm in the living room and I'm laughing at him.)  Ben's biggest 'problem' has consistently been going to sleep.  This week has been no exception.  We brush our teeth, read our stories, say our prayers, and then it's bed time.  I generally sit with him for a little bit or rock him for a little bit and then leave the room.  Most nights he fusses a little, but goes to sleep.  Not the last couple days.  The other night he fussed for probably 45 minutes or longer.  So then I start feeling like a bad mother because if I walk him, rock him, or sit with him, then I'm contributing to his inability to fall asleep himself.  However, I don't think screaming for 45 minutes or longer is a healthy and loving response either.  What happened you ask.  Drew walked him to sleep.  What is the moral of this story?  Drew reminding me that it was just a bad night.  It didn't make a bad mother that he had to be walked that one night and it didn't make me a bad mother that he cried either.  So thanks for pulling back from the edge of the cavern of guilt over bad parenting.  I don't know what I would do without him.

2 comments:

  1. eh i think i could semi get what you are saying right here because of the fact that seth is having difficult times going to bed becaue he is afraid of the dark -.- i mean INSAINLY he wont go into nay slightly dim place in the entire house! and if we throw him into his room by himself even with the light on for abit he still sits there and slowly goes to sleep, if alone in the dark he cries and cries and cries and cries. its insanity. why cant we just get m edicationf or kids to sleep at night xD but yes sometimes different thinkgs help kids fall aslepe and differnt methods improve stuff. good think that we arent asexual organisms or we would hav ea hard time with kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being afraid of the dark would make everything a lot harder!

    ReplyDelete