Monday, January 17, 2011

Light: Part 3

Psalms 27:1 "The Lord is my light and my salvation- whom shall I fear?"

Isaiah 49:6 "he says: 'It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth."

We have talked about the Lord being light and about light as clothing. This week we see light as a part of salvation or involved in the process of salvation. I'll start with the part in Isaiah. Reading the footnote in my Bible, this passage is sometimes referred to as the Great Commission of the Old Testament. I didn't know that, but it completely makes sense. I'm not going to comment on the first part because I really don't know what that could be talking about. So I'm going to focus on the last part that makes the most sense to me. We see light as a part of the process of salvation. His salvation will be accompanied by light. In this case specifically, it is for the Gentiles. This says to me that they are currently in darkness. If so, they would not be able to 'see' salvation without that light. In order to find salvation, there must be a light. That would be Jesus in us. With this light, we are supposed to drive out darkness in order for others to find salvation.

How can we do this? Look at Psalms. The Lord. His light shows us his salvation and with that, what do we need to worry about? If we have all that, we should be wanting to share it. That takes us back to the Isaiah verse. Light illuminates, obviously! In this case, light is illuminating the process of salvation. There is so much to this one word!

No comments:

Post a Comment