Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Light: Part 2

Looking again at the concept of light in Scripture. (Wow, I feel really unqualified to say that. I haven't done an exhaustive search, just a looking at a few verses and giving my opinion.)

The verses this week portray light as a piece of clothing. Light is something to be put on.

Psalms 104:2 "He wraps himself in light as with a garment;"
Romans 13:12 "The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light."

In Psalms, it talks about all the great things that God has control of, clouds, wind, fire, the heavens, and light. He has control of light to the point that he can wear it like a garment. While that in and of itself is impressive, what really made me stop and consider this week, was the portrayal of light. Light is shown as a garment. It is something that can be put on. To our earthly minds, this makes no sense. Light has no substance, no matter. How can something with no matter be put on? I don't know, but God does and I'll trust him. I just think it is interesting that He can use it this way. What does that mean for us?

Romans tells us at least 1 possibility. It is to be worn as armor for us. When would someone wear armor? In battle of course. So light, for our purposes, can protect us in battle. Light is more than we know it to be. Light has a power to protect as well as a power to reveal. How is that possible? To me, it only seems to make sense that in the process of revealing, light is protecting. How? If we are children of God and following his will, our deeds will be known and the reasons for them will be known. What would be the reasons for our deeds? Love. So we have nothing to worry about in the process of revealing.

So to summarize, light can be something we put on when we are following after God because he puts it on. And when we do that, we will be protected. Just a few thoughts for today.

1 comment:

  1. I have someone that I've been dealing with for a few years now, that is very similar to me in personality, but her character is completely my opposite, and in describing us, I said that she was darkness and I am light. If we have a pure heart, only light comes from our souls. We can see the good intentions and we can do our best to be better. I never even thought about the concept of light and how often it appears in the Bible. I really like the direction you are taking with your blogs, they really make me think. Also, this background photo is perfect.

    ReplyDelete