Saturday, January 8, 2011

Light: Part 1

So I have a new plan for this blog this year. I thought I would come up with a topic and blog on it for several weeks. I particularly like to study the way a specific word is used throughout the Bible. The first topic is: Light and I should be covering it for about 6 weeks.

The first couple verses that jumped out to me were Psalm 4:6, Psalm 76:4

Psalms 4:6 Many are asking, "Who can show us any good?" Let the light of your face shine upon us.

Psalms 76:4 You are resplendent with light, more majestic than mountains rich with game.

In these verses we see light is a part of God himself. This is an important aspect of light. It really makes me realize how the imprint of God really is in everything he has designed. How much do we here our culture calling for light. We want lots of windows in our houses. We want better headlights for our cars. We use lamps so often that we have to create special bulbs to use less energy. We want our photos taken outside in the light. We want light and preferably natural light. Why do we have this craving for natural light because it is the creation of our Father. Whether we want to admit it or not we have a deep craving to be with our Father and light reminds us of that. We even have the phrase that someone's "face lights up". Where do we get that idea or imagery. I think from our Father who's face lights up as well. Even in saying that, my mind just can't wrap around the idea. I picture someone who has Christmas lights around their face or something, but that isn't even close to what the Bible is getting at. God's face has light, natural pure light. And it isn't just his face that has light. He is "resplendent with light." He himself shines with light. He is light. No wonder we, as a culture, have a craving for light. We are craving our Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment