Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Boys

Something I have grown to be very passionate about is the role of men and women in our society.  I think our society does a great disservice to men and to masculinity.  That has become a mean and nasty word and very unnecessarily so.  Our society has taken away the "right" to be men and so we see lots of young men wandering around wasting their lives and causing havoc in the process.

Because of this, I was pretty excited and a bit scared when I found out I was having a boy.  It is very important to me to raise Ben as a man.  He needs to know what that word means.  Not the societal misuse of the word, but the real meaning that God has for that word.  This seemed like an awfully big task to me and it still does.  It is something I pray about regularly and have read a couple books about it.  I am very blessed to have a husband who knows what it means to be a man in the true sense of the word.  I am so glad he stays home with Ben because I know that Ben is sure to have a good 'man' education.  So I pray that Ben can lead his friends to be healthy men.  Maybe Drew and I can make a difference with one little boy.

And yes I am a teacher, so shouldn't I be able to make a difference in classroom?  I hope so.  Not to say that I play favorites.  It isn't that.  I just try harder to check up on some of the boys I encounter.  It seems like in this area of the country anyway, there is a realization that men are pretty okay and should be involved as men with society.  That makes me happy.

2 comments:

  1. you know what? that is always something that i have noticed! you never want to raise your son wrong because he can become some kind of crook or a murderer but the hard truth is that ev eryone is capable of this kind of future. i think that having a boy is somewhat of a bigger responsibility because of the fact that we think that we are right. we have it in our mindsets that we know what is best. we think that parents are dumber then us.. well atleast that is what braxtons thinks xD i learned what not to do because of him. and well.. raise ben the way you think is best because i think so far you are doing a swell job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think that sense of "I know what is best." is something built in to boys by God. He made them that way because they are supposed to be leaders in their family and in their community. As a parent, we have to direct that.

    And thanks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete