Monday, November 8, 2010

Labels

Just a few quick thoughts on this Monday.  I hope I can clarify these jumbled thoughts.

Whether we like it or not, our lives are filled with labels.  We label ourselves one way or another to belong to one group or another.  Other people label us based on their perception of us.  How often do we group labels together as if one automatically assumes another? How often do we define ourselves based on previously assumed labels?
I am an American Christian.  I am a Christian American.  I am a Democratic Christian.  I am a manly Christian.  I am a manly American.  I am an American man.  I am a Christian man.  I am a womanly Christian.  I am a womanly American.  I am an American woman.  I am a Christian woman.  The list could go on and on and on.  Do these labels have to go together or should they be separate ideas?
What are your labels? What should be your labels?

No comments:

Post a Comment