Monday, November 15, 2010

John 6:68-69

68 Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.”


While these are only a few short verses in a long chapter that could bring forward many questions and comments, I find these verses speaking to me.  Yesterday in his sermon, Pastor Scott mentioned some of the things the disciples gave up to follow Jesus:  Comfort, Careers, Possessions, Position, Family, and Safety.  When you consider all that they gave up, Peter's statement becomes much more powerful.  They could have gone back to family, their jobs, their houses, their businesses, etc., etc.  However, they didn't consider any of these a possibility.  They knew that real life was held in Jesus' hand.  They put Jesus so far above everything else that they saw no other option, but to follow him.


How does this relate to us?  Do we see other options?  Do we keep our backup plans around?  I would venture to say there are several of us out in the world, who see Jesus as an option.  If he doesn't work out, then I can always go back to my family, my business, my car, my house, etc., etc.  Jesus doesn't want to be an option.  You can't simply take a little of him to make sure you life goes better.  He must be your only option.  What is standing in the way of making him your only option?  Is he really worth giving up EVERYTHING?  This is the cost of discipleship.  Can you say you have no where else to go?

No comments:

Post a Comment