Monday, November 15, 2010

Good Advice

Probably the best advice I ever got in my life was from my dad.  After camping one weekend, we were picking up our campsite and he asked me to pick up some trash.  My response was that it wasn't mine, so why should I have to pick it up. He told me that we should "leave it better than we found it."  These words convinced me to pick up that trash, but also spoke to me much deeper than simply in that moment.  He gave me words to live by.

I can't say that I always live this out, but I try.  I recycle some (not as much as I should) to try to leave the Earth better than I found it.  I try to educate my students about Spanish and also about the world in an effort to leave them better than I found them.  I'm working on reading my Bible every day and praying every day in an effort to leave this world, my family, my friends, etc. better than I found them.  I am honest with the youth in our youth group about my struggles, my past, etc. in an effort to leave their relationship with God better than I found it.  I am an active member of my church in an effort to leave it better than I found it.  So I guess the purpose of this post is a little thank you to my dad for such great advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment