Monday, October 4, 2010

Waiting

This is one of those weeks when I don't think I have anything that I am just dying to tell you about, so I guess I'll mention some of what I have been learning lately.  In case you can't figure out what I've been learning, it is waiting/patience.

It seems to go without saying that having an 19 month old will teach you patience or drive you insane.  (Currently it's a little bit of both.)  However, this isn't the only place that I'm learning about patience and waiting.  This isn't something that I ask for, but just something God has been giving me.  Aren't I lucky?  :)  Seriously though, Drew and I have both felt that God is calling us to something more ministry focused.  Drew quite literally in the ministry somewhere at a not too distant point in the future.  Me- I feel that at some point I will probably be called away from the classroom and into something else.  When?  I have no clue.  What is this something else?  I have no clue.  However, I have learned over the past few weeks.  I need to be preparing for whatever that is.  So I need to be reading and praying to be sure that I am where I need to be with God and learning what I need to learn to be ready when the door opens.  What door?  I have no clue.  Some days this not knowing bothers me more than others.  Most days it doesn't.  I truly know that God has my future in his hands and it is good.  When will I get to this future doesn't matter as much as how I get to this future.  So in my waiting, I need to be learning and taking one day at a time.

Another waiting lesson that I learned, this week was a particularly rough one.  The new AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress) for testing results is going to really jump this year and everyone at my school is already stressing about this.  This stress makes things tense around there and in the tension, some good intentions get lost in frustrated questions and answers.  Being on the recieving (and probably some of the giving) end of this frustration this week really had me wondering, if I was where God wanted me to be.  Normally, when I start to wonder, I want answers right now.  I told myself in this situation I wasn't going to be that way.  I was going to wait on answers.  God really made sure I was waiting.  The rest of the week went swimmingly.  My students were wonderful.  I got so much accomplished and got some great ideas from collegues.  So I really felt God's hand in the end of my week.  He was going to make sure that things went well, so I had no choice, but to calm down, think rationally, and wait on his answer.

So while I currently wonder where I will be in 10 years, 5 years, next year, 5 months, and even in 10 days, mostly I'm not worried about it.  God is holding my future and it is good.  Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a hope and a future."  That is something worth waiting on.

No comments:

Post a Comment