Monday, October 25, 2010

Reading

I love to read.  I will read just about anything.  I remember when I was little I would read the back of the cereal box at breakfast to have something to read.  I read fiction and non-fiction.  I read contemporary novels and classics.  I have a few favorite authors (Austen, Hawthorne, the Bronte Sisters) and probably only two that I don't like at all, Melville and Stienbeck.  (Sorry to all their fans!  Just my personal preference.)  Most of the time this desire to read anything is good because I never run out of things to read.  However, sometimes it is a bad thing.  Right now it is a bad thing.  I am really, really, really wanting to read about 6 books right now.  It is hard enough to read one book with my schedule, but 6!  That is just impossible.  So I will have to be patient.  This seems unfair.  I don't want to be patient.  I want to lock myself in a room and do nothing, but read until I read them all.  Somehow I don't think this will happen, but I would like to do that.  So in the meantime, I will try to rank the books I want to read.  That is hard, but I think I have done it.

1. 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12 By Dr. Thomas W. Phelan
2. The Gift of an Ordinary Day: A Mother's Memoir By Katrina Kenison
3. The Strong Willed Child By Dr. James Dobson
4.  The Queen of the South By Arturo Perez-Reverte
5.  Raising Boys by Dr. James Dobson
6.  The Titan's Curse By Rick Riordan

There are also 3 more that are a little more distant, but on my radar.

1. The Last Days of the Romanovs: Tragedy at Ekateringburg by Helen Rappaport
2.  The Fragile Absolute: Or, Why is the Christian Legacy Worth Fighting For? By Slovoj Zizek
3.  Engaging Biblical Authority by William P. Brown
4.  Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (rereading)

So I guess from the titles you've noticed that my reading preferences are a little varied.  :)  What about you?  Is there one specific type you read or do you just read anything?  Do you have a favorite author?

2 comments: