Tuesday, August 31, 2010

When Zombies Attack...

Or my current thoughts on the new Scooby Doo cartoon on Cartoon Network.  I guess I could also label this as the geekiest blog you will read today!

So I was a bit excited when Cartoon Network announced they were going to have a new Scooby Doo cartoon.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I figured if you had those 5 characters and a mystery you couldn't mess it up right?  Well, they're trying hard to mess it up.  A few complaints that I have are the new aspects of the characters, the animation itself, additional characters, and the setting of the show.  At this point, you are wondering what do I like about it.  I'm not sure what I do like about it, but I'm still watching it after about 4 or 5 weeks.  So evidently I like something about it or maybe I'm still watching in the vain hope that it all magically changes and gets better.

In the new one, there's too much teen angst between the characters.  Daphne and Velma are in or are trying to be in relationships with Fred and Shaggy respectively.  The guys are pretty oblivious to the way they "should" be acting as boyfriends.  So a good portion of the show is spent discussing this which I think is totally unnecessary.  Just focus on the mystery who cares about these supposed relationships.

The animation itself is to has too many sharp edges to it.  I think they are trying to make the show scarier and darker.  I don't like it!  The show isn't supposed to be dark and scary.  It's supposed to be fun.

There is a Mr. E that I suppose is some kind of play on Charlie's Angels or  something.  I'm not sure what his purpose is.  It might be that he is trying to point them to some larger mystery, which is kinda cool.  The parents of the kids are more involved as well, which I thought at first was going to be cool, but at this point I find it annoying.  Once again, too much teen angst.

The setting is Crystal Cove, "the most haunted town in America".  First off, everyone knows that the kids are from Coolsville.  So where did Crystal Cove come from.  I guess it is a lame attempt at humor.  Not liking it.

And one more thing, Scooby is not the pet of the whole group and a fun, loving, scardey cat type dog.  He is more just Shaggy's friend.  So not the point of Scooby Doo and he has yet to say Scooby Dooby Doo either.

So with all these complaints, I'm still watching it.  There is this overarching mystery that is slowly being revealed.  I guess I'm waiting on that, but I'm getting impatient.  If it doesn't get better soon, I think I'm taking it off DVR.  Cartoon Network managed to mess up a good thing and I'm not happy about it!

2 comments:

  1. Eh it might be geeky, but i can actually write on this one! so i saw this show the other day! i was so disappointed. i used to love scooby doo! but they turned it into like half a drama or romance-ish type thing and half mystery. they've had so many people try to remake it, but i didn't think any of those were as nearly as different from the original. it's like they arent even the same characters anymore. i have only watched one and it was something about daphne and fred calling off their engagement and velma and shaggy fighting about scooby breaking them up? something like that.. but anyways. i honestly don't think kids care as much about that as they do the mystery part..eh maybe they do... but i dont really. well yeah, i dont like the new version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO glad I stopped watching the show if all that junk is happening! The mystery was the whole point of the show. Now I guess it is drama, but that is silly. I'll just have to look out for DVD's of the original ones.

    ReplyDelete