Tuesday, August 17, 2010

College Instructor, Wife, and Mother

I knew that today was going to be a long day.  I had lots of errands to do, the doctor's office, DMV, passport office, get a faculty ID and parking pass.  I was very surprised that the DMV and passport office were very easy to get what I needed.  The on campus errands were much more difficult.  I got my room assignments, but it didn't really work, so I had to try to get that changed.  Changing anything seems to be quite an ordeal and this was no different.  In the end, it worked out wonderfully. Praise God!  Getting my faculty parking tag was super easy.  The faculty ID was difficult.  I had to talk to like 3different people all over campus in the middle of the day and it was hot.  Yuck!  I got it done though.  All I had left to do was to check email and print 2 things.  Unfortunately, the lab assistant was new and so were the computers, so he didn't know how to set it up to print right.  So after some and messing, I put my flash drive in a different computer and got it printed.  Whew!  Errands complete.

I got to come home for about an hour and play with Ben, talk to Drew, and relax a little.  It was just enough time to start making me a little nervous.  : )  I got back to campus in time to make a few copies and get things arranged in my classroom.  Tonight I had a small class of 8 and I ended up getting the room change I needed.  The students all participated wonderfully, listened attentively, worked well together and individually.  They all participated and even asked me a few questions about myself.  (I always give my students a chance the first day, but most of the time they don't ask anything.)  It was a really great class!  I have a seated lab class, which at first seemed a little unnecessary because their entire lab book is all online.  However, it was great to have that time today to work with them and figure out the program together.  So great first day as a college professor.

The best part of the day, however, was hands down getting to come home and play with my son and eat dinner with my husband.  I have a wonderful husband that got me a black olive pizza for dinner as a celebration of my first class.  There are lots of people that don't like olives so it is always a treat for me to get them on my pizza.  Ben was literally climbing all over us and begging food off our plates while we were trying to eat.  He was also running, laughing, playing his bongo drum, and settling into his perfect place in the bean bag.  It was all so ordinary and so wonderful.  Later when I was putting him to bed he grabbed my hand, well really a couple fingers and laid down.  He just wanted to hold my hand and his blanket while he fell asleep.  I can't believe I am so blessed to be doing something that I love every day and get to come home to such love and joy. 

I expect to have a very busy semester and I was more than a little worried about how I can manage to do it all and still be the wife and mother that I need to be.  Tonight God showed me that the quality is more important or at least just as important as the quantity.  I think this will be a great test for me to see if I can discipline myself to manage my time like I know I need to.  If I do it right, then I can enjoy more nights like tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment