Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Missing Summer?

This week I had no clue what to blog about and then in the last couple days I saw some photos on Facebook from different people enjoying their summer.  This really got me thinking and so I'll put those thoughts on here.  Several people on my friends list have taken short weekend trips and taken some wonderful photos of those trips.  While looking at some of them, I found myself being jealous.  Why?  I wasn't really sure.  It hasn't been the easiest summer with all the replacing  of car parts and computers.  My sprain didn't help things and whatever I did to my back a few weeks ago.  However, we have done plenty of things that qualify as short trips, so why weren't these relaxing, fun, and memorable?  At first I was rather unsure.I feel like I haven't had any great relaxing vacation time.  We went to a Cardinals game while visiting the IL family.  We had an awesome cookout while there as well and got to eat with some good friends.  We have also taken the youth swimming and tubing per invitation of some very generous church folks.  Ben and I have been swimming in our little backyard pool a few times this summer.  All of this should add up to some fun right?  So why don't I feel like it?

After much deep contemplation, I have decided that I feel like I have been missing summer fun because I am trying to be too responsible.  Having a 1 year old and watching after several teens certainly doesn't make for a carefree adventure, but it doesn't have to be a total drag either.  In case you didn't know, I'm a type A control freak type person, especially when I have to be looking after other people.  It certainly is a responsibility that is important, but I think sometimes I take it too far and worry too much.  That has been my problem this summer.  With that in mind, I got to work doing a few things around the house today and I started feeling better.

In the next couple weekends, we have a few things planned.  A friend of mine is coming into town this weekend.  Not sure what we'll be getting into, but I'm going to make an extra effort to enjoy it.  The weekend after that we are taking the day and going to visit Uncle Alex with Nana Diane.  Once again, not sure what we'll be doing, but I'm going to try extra hard to relax and have fun.  So whatever the rest of the summer may hold, I am going to relax and enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment